August 22, 2016

Letter to Loblaws

Here's a copy of the letter I have sent to Loblaws (I may send it to Sobeys and some other grocers as well).   Hope it will have an impact.


Dear Loblaws, 

Recently, I learned that black plastic cannot be recycled.  I have been mistakenly putting black plastic containers in recycling bins for years.  There are likely many others who are unaware of this recycling rule.  I recently wrote to the city of Toronto to enquire.  They have explained that black plastic cannot be properly sorted using current technology.

I recently took a walk through my local Loblaws to investigate.  I noticed black plastic trays were used to package some meats, especially beef.  It is also used for fruit and veggie trays.  And sometimes baked goods and other prepared foods are packaged in black plastic.  

As an eco-minded consumer, I’m committed to reducing my garbage which means not buying items packaged in black plastic.  I’m encouraging my friends, family and community to do the same.  

Still, I wonder if Loblaws has considered changing their packaging practices.  It would be great if your company would consider reducing (or eliminating) black plastic packaging throughout it’s stores.   I’ve always known Loblaws to be an industry leader in Canada.  Is Loblaws ready to make some changes to make a big difference for the environment?   

Looking forward to hearing from you.