Well, we did an official inspection of Jackman's classrooms, gyms, library, office and staff rooms. We even checked the bathrooms. We discovered that only 60% of the rooms at school have lights turned off when no one was in them. That means 40% did NOT turn get their lights off. We think Jackman can do better than that!
So, we've got some suggestions for you.
- The teacher can turn off the lights at the front of the line before the class leaves the room.
- One student can have the responsibility of being the 'caboose' and turn off the lights as the last person leaving the room.
- Keep a sign near the door or near the lights to remind students and teachers to turn the lights off.
- Make up a little rhyme to help your class remember, rhymes like... Turn off the light! It’s too bright! Let’s Shout, Lights Out! Do it right! Off with the light!
And here are some other ways you can save energy in your classroom.
- Make sure your fans, computers, Smartboards and other electronics are turned off when not in use.
- If it’s bright outside, turn off all of the lights in your room and use daylight instead.
- If you’re working in half the classroom, turn off the lights in the other half of the room.
Let's work together to conserve energy at school. Time to 'switch' your thinking, Jackman!